Dustin Johnson has offered about $ 174 million to join LIV Golf as a PGA battle line

The first Saudi-funded LIV Golf Invitational includes Dustin Johnson and 12 other PGA Tour members as part of its 48-man field outside London next week. The next step is to decide on a PGA Tour, which will allow them to return.

The first fallout came after the rival league announced the names of the players who would be competing in its opening event when the Royal Bank of Canada said it was excluding Johnson and Graeme McDowell as corporate sponsors. Both are playing in the LIV event, the RBC Canadian Open on the PGA Tour the same week.

Read more: The tennis boss brutally admits Bertie

Read more: Ray Warren has confirmed that he said his last game

Exclusive: Chalmer’s ‘game changing’ move for the Paris Olympics

The only comment from the PGA Tour was to mention a memo for players on May 10 where it denied release for their first LIV event game. “Members who violate the rules of the tournament will be subject to disciplinary action,” the statement said.

Matt Jones and Hudson were among the 42 players named on the Swford field list (the other six spots are being held on special invitations and from the Asian Tour series). The practice never got much attention from the media as they practiced on Wednesdays before and after Pro-Am at the Memorial.

Jones confirmed that he received a signing bonus and was forced to play more than once in eight LIV events, with a মান 34 million prize money in each and স্ব 5.5 million for the individual winner. Five tournaments in the United States.

The 41-year-old Australian, ranked 68th in the world, said it was “a good choice for me” for business and family and that he hoped the game would grow.

But he did not give up his PGA Tour membership.

“My next tour stop … I don’t know when it will be, to be honest with you. We’ll see. We’ll find out what happens, “Jones said. “I don’t think banning players from playing on the PGA Tour as an independent contractor is too good for golf. It doesn’t look good on anyone. I understand that this tour seeks to protect their players and their products, but I don’t think it’s a good way to go about it. “

The Daily Telegraph reports that Johnson was offered more than 4 174 million to sign up for the league that Greg Norman is running. Johnson has been widely hired, and it is thought that the trial ended when he said in February that he was “fully committed” to the PGA Tour. He was the biggest star in the list of 42 players.

Phil Mickelson, the chief employer of the players, was not on the list until his inflammatory remarks about the Saudis and the PGA Tour drove him away from golf. He could still be added to the field.

Sword, a 44-year-old Florida native with two young children and ranked 91st in the world, cited Tim Golf’s appeal as part of a new league and less travel. He wanted to be part of the PGA Tour.

Suspending players? That golf game is not growing. That’s what LIV is trying to do – give more golfers more opportunities, “said Swaford. “I think it’s going to be a great thing. It’s going to be a lot of eyes. I’m excited to play. “

Also on June 9-11 at the Centurion Club ground was American amateur champion James Piot, who was on the side of the Colonial team last week. Piot got a discount on the PGA Tour event from his US amateur win. Joining the LIV Circuit provides instant cash – not to mention how much they received – which will not be available on the first days of trying to do this on a PGA Tour.

“It’s just an opportunity to play golf, a big stage and travel the world. For me, as a 23-year-old, this is a great opportunity to do what you love to do, “said Piot, referring to it as a” golden ticket this summer. “

The LIV field currently has four of the top 50 in the world – Johnson (13), Louis Ostuygen (20), Kevin Na (33) and Talor Gooch (35) – and 16 of the top 100.

Rory McIlroy described the stadium as “nothing like jumping up and down”, specifically comparing it to the Memorial or the Canadian Open, which he called a “proper tournament.”

But he also showed a soft spot for those who want to run after big money.

“I certainly don’t think they should drop the hammer,” McIlroy said. “Look, they have the right to enforce the rules and regulations that have been set. It’s going to be an argument about what those rules and regulations are. “

Regulations for playing outside of the PGA Tour require a conflicting event release. The next LIV event is in the first week of July in Oregon. The PGA Tour does not release for any tournaments held in North America.

“Look, I have some very close friends who are playing in this event in London, and I certainly don’t want to stand in their way, for them to do what they think is right for them,” McIlroy said. “I must understand why some boys have gone, and it’s something we’re all just going to keep an eye on and see what happens in these few weeks.”

To get a daily dose of the best breaking news and exclusive content from the Wide World of Sports, subscribe to our newsletter Click here!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.